All about Azilect medication
Azilect, also known as Rasagiline is a drug used to treat Parkinson’s disease and its symptoms. Used either alone or together with other medications. Effective in reducing slow movements or instances where stiffness is experienced. It helps improve some symptoms like;
- Difficulty in moving
How does Azilect work?
Rasagiline increases the level of natural substances like dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine in the brain. Dopamine less produced in the brain is thought to cause Parkinson’s disease. It belongs to Monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors.
How to use Azilect
A doctor prescribes this medication. Azilect is taken orally either without food or with. Prescription is normally just once a day. The dosage depends on the medical condition prescribed. This may vary depending on whether there are other medications you are taking. Your response to the treatment will also determine how a doctor prescribes this medication.
Precautions when taking Azilect
It is always advised that before taking any drugs or medications that you inform your doctor or pharmacist if any other products you are using. It is no different with Azilect. Be sure to inform your doctor if you are taking other medications. Cautions to follow are;
- Inform your pharmacist or doctor if you are allergic to this drug
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist of your medical history
- Do not by any chance increase the dosage of Azilect more than the prescribed
- Do not reduce the dosage
- You should not stop taking this medication before consulting with your doctor
- Do not use other herbal products together with this medication unless advised by the doctor
- No machinery should be operated when taking this medication
- Do away with any alcoholic beverages or limit their intake
Who should not take Azilect?
It is always a good idea to have your physician check if you have any of the below conditions. They are:
- A skin cancer known as malignant melanoma
- Any psychotic disorders
- Low blood pressure especially orthostatic hypotension
- High blood pressure
- Dyskinesia, which is a disorder of abnormal movement
Side effects of using Azilect
The minor side effects of using Azilect as medication are:
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth.
- Dizziness. To reduce this, make sure to stand up slowly
- Weight loss
Some of the major side effects that need a doctor to be notified immediately are:
- Depression or hallucinations
- Muscle stiffness that seems to be worsening
- Swollen ankles or legs
- Bleeding or bruising easily